Journal Articles and Letters
Johnson L.F., Dorrington R.E., Bradshaw D., Pillay-Van Wyk V. and Rehle T.M.
(2009) Sexual behaviour patterns in South Africa and their association with
the spread of HIV: insights from a mathematical model. Demographic
Research. 21: 289-340
Adam M.A. and Johnson L.F. (2009) Estimation of adult antiretroviral treatment coverage in South Africa.
South African Medical Journal. 99(9): 661-7
Dorrington R. (2009) Does the 2008
HSRC survey indicate a turning tide of HIV prevalence in children, teenagers
and the youth? South African Medical Journal. 99(9): 631-3
Hesseling A.C., Johnson L.F., Jaspan H.
et al. (2009) Population-based estimates of disseminated BCG disease in
HIV-infected infants: implications for settings highly endemic for HIV and
tuberculosis. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 87: 505-11
Johnson L.F., Dorrington R.E., Bradshaw
D., du Plessis H. and Makubalo L. (2009) The effect of educational attainment
and other factors on HIV risk in South African women: results from antenatal
surveillance, 2000-2005. AIDS. 23: 1583-8
- Hesseling A.C., Cotton M.F., Jennings T., Whitelaw A., Johnson L.F. et
al. (2009) High incidence of tuberculosis among HIV-infected infants:
Evidence from a South African population-based study highlights the need for
improved tuberculosis control strategies. Clinical Infectious Diseases.
- Dorrington R. and Bourne D. (2008) Re-estimated provincial HIV antenatal
survey prevalence for 2007 and a reinterpretation of the national trend.
South African Medical Journal. 98(12): 940-1
- Timaeus I.M. and Moultrie T.A. (2008) On postponement and birth
intervals. Population and Development Review. 34(3): 483-510
- Esquivel V., Budlender D., Folbre N. and Hirway I. (2008) Explorations:
Time-use surveys in the south. Feminist Economics. 14(3): 107-152
- Moultrie T.A. and Dorrington R.E. (2008) Sources of error and bias in
methods of fertility estimation contingent on the P/F ratio in a time of
declining fertility and rising mortality. Demographic Research.
- Dorrington R.E. and Moultrie T.A. (2008) A careful look at “A re-look at
recent statistics on mortality in the context of HIV/AIDS with particular
reference to South Africa”. Current HIV Research. 6(4): 279-285
- Johnson L.F. and Lewis D.A. (2008) The effect of genital tract
infections on HIV-1 shedding in the genital tract: a systematic review and
meta-analysis. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 35(11): 946-959
- Dorrington R.E. and Bourne D. (2008) Has HIV prevalence peaked in South
Africa? - Can the report on the latest antenatal survey be trusted to answer
this question? South African Medical Journal. 98(10): 754-5
- Bowen P., Dorrington R.E., Distiller G., Lake H. and Besesar S. (2008)
HIV/AIDS in the South African construction industry: an empirical study.
Construction Management and Economics. 26(8): 825-837
- Moultrie T.A., Hosegood V., McGrath N., Hill C., Herbst K. and Newell
M.L. (2008) Refining the criteria for stalled fertility declines: An
application to rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, 1990-2005. Studies in
Family Planning. 39(1): 39-48
- Johnson L.F., Bekker L.G. and Dorrington R.E. (2007) HIV/AIDS
vaccination in adolescents would be efficient and practical when vaccine
supplies are limited. Vaccine. 25(43): 7502-9
- Johnson L.F. and Dorrington R.E. (2007) The potential effect of an
HIV/AIDS vaccine in South Africa. South African Actuarial Journal. 7:
- Dorrington R.E. and Tootla S. (2007) South African annuitant standard
mortality tables 1996-2000 (SAIML98 and SAIFL98). South African Actuarial
Journal. 7: 161-184
- Johnson L.F., Dorrington R.E. and Matthews A.P. (2007) An investigation
into the extent of uncertainty surrounding estimates of the impact of
HIV/AIDS in South Africa. South African Journal of Science. 103:
- Johnson L.F., Bradshaw D. and Dorrington R.E. (2007) The burden of
disease attributable to sexually transmitted infections in South Africa in
2000. South African Medical Journal. 97(8): 658-62
- Bradshaw D. and Dorrington R.E. (2007) Child mortality in South Africa –
we have lost touch. South African Medical Journal. 97(8): 582-3
- Johnson L.F. and McLeod H.D. (2007) Steady growth in antiretroviral
treatment provision by disease management and community treatment programmes.
South African Medical Journal. 97(5): 358-9
- Moultrie T.A. and McGrath N. (2007) Teenage fertility rates falling in
South Africa. South African Medical Journal. 97(6): 442-3
- Johnson L.F. and Dorrington R.E. (2006) Modelling the demographic impact
of HIV/AIDS in South Africa and the likely impact of interventions.
Demographic Research. 14: 541-574.
- Moultrie T.A. (2006) The Demography of South Africa [Review].
Population Studies. 60(2): 240-242.
- Hallett T.B., Aberle-Grasse J., Bello G., Boulos L.-M., Cayemittes M.P.A.,
Cheluget B., Chipeta J., Dorrington R. et al. (2006) Declines in HIV
prevalence can be associated with changing sexual behaviour in Uganda, urban
Kenya, Zimbabwe, and urban Haiti. Sexually Transmitted Infections.
82(Suppl 1): i1-8.
- Groenewald P., Bradshaw D., Dorrington R. E., Bourne D. et al. (2005)
Identifying deaths from AIDS in South Africa: an update. AIDS. 19(7):
- Meintjes H., Budlender D., Giese S. and Johnson L. (2005) Children in
need of care or in need of cash? Social security in the time of AIDS.
South African Review of Sociology. 36(2): 238-268
- Johnson L.F., Coetzee D.J. and Dorrington R.E. (2005) Sentinel
surveillance of sexually transmitted infections in South Africa: a review.
Sexually Transmitted Infections. 81: 287-293.
- O'Malley B.R., Dorrington R.E., Jurisich S.C., Valentini J.A. et al.
(2005) South African Assured Lives Mortality Investigation 1995-1998.
South African Actuarial Journal. 5: 27-59.
- Moultrie, T.A. (2005) Racism and reproduction: Population rhetoric in
South Africa, 1900-1974. African Studies. 64(2): 217-242
- Budlender D. (2005) Gender and poverty. Agenda. 65: 30-36.
- Bradshaw D., Laubscher R., Dorrington R., Bourne D. and Timaeus I.
(2004) Unabated rise in number of adult deaths in South Africa. South
African Medical Journal. 94: 278-279
- Budlender D., Chobokoane N. and Simelane S. (2004) Marriage patterns in
South Africa: Methodological and substantive issues. Southern African
Journal of Demography. 9(1): 1-26
- Dorrington R.E., Timaeus I. M., Moultrie T. A. and Nannan N. (2004)
Estimates of provincial fertility and mortality in South Africa, 1985-1996.
Southern African Journal of Demography. 9(2):25-57.
- Cronje M. and Budlender D. (2004) Comparing Census 1996 with Census
2001: An operational perspective. Southern African Journal of Demography.
- Moultrie T. and Timaeus I. (2003) The South African fertility decline:
Evidence from two censuses and a Demographic and Health Survey.
Population Studies. 57(3): 265-283.
- Bradshaw D., Groenewald P., Laubscher R., Nannan N., Nojilana B., Norman
R., Pieterse D., Schneider M., Bourne D., Timaeus I., Dorrington R. and
Johnson L. (2003) Initial burden of disease estimates for South Africa,
2000. South African Medical Journal. 93: 682-688.
- McLeod H. D., Achmat Z. and Stein A. M. (2003) Minimum benefits for
HIV/AIDS in South African medical schemes. South African Actuarial
Journal. 3: 77-111
- Dorrington R.E. (2002) Did They Jump or Were They Pushed? An
investigation into the apparent undercount of whites in the 1996 Census.
Southern African Journal of Demography. 8(1): 37-46.
- Chobokoane N. and Budlender D. (2002) Methodology used to measure
child-care in the South African Time Use Survey. Agenda. 51: 73-89.
- Bradshaw D., Schneider M., Dorrington R., Bourne D. and Laubscher R.
(2002) South African cause-of-death profile in transition - 1996 and future
trends. South African Medical Journal. 92(8): 618-623
- Dorrington R.E. (2002) How many people are currently infected with HIV
in South Africa? South African Medical Journal. 92(3): 196-7.
- Dorrington R., Bradshaw D., Budlender D., Bourne D. (2002) The current
state and future projections of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in South Africa.
South African Dental Journal. 57: 408-409.
- McLeod H., Slattery G. and Van den Heever A. (2001) The use and abuse of
reinsurance in medical schemes. South African Actuarial Journal. 1:
- Caldis K., McLeod H. and Smith P. (2001) The fall of the bamboo curtain:
a review of complementary medicine in South Africa. South African
Actuarial Journal. 1: 63-93
- Valodia I., Smith T. and Budlender D. (2001) Has gender-based tax reform
been good for all South African women? Agenda. 47:83-86.
- Dorrington R.E. (2001) Estimating the extent of the HIV/AIDS epidemic:
Some questions and answers on the ASSA2000 model. Law Democracy and
Development Journal, 5(2): 129-136.
- Moultrie T.A. and Timaeus I.M. (2001) Fertility and living arrangements
in South Africa. Journal of Southern African Studies, 27(2): 207-223.