Dr. Joel Chigada holds a postgraduate Diploma and BBA (Hons) Degree from the Institute of Marketing Management (SA) and went to the School of Business Leadership where he graduated with an MBL and obtained his PhD Information Science (UNISA). Joel holds an Advanced Diploma in Computer Science from the UK [Association of Computer Professionals]. Joel is currently studying for his second PhD (Information Systems) - Cybersecurity at UCT.
Joel started his marketing career in 1990 in the automotive industry, took up a senior marketing positions in the Telecommunications, Global System of Mobile Communication, Retail Banking, Airline, higher and tertiary education sectors. Joel has travelled globally, which has exposed him to a variety of business cultures, processes, markets and a host of information and knowledge pertinent to his career.
After his private sector experience, Joel became an academic at UNISA as a lecturer in 2012-2015 and joined the UCT as a Senior Lecturer in April 2015. Appointed as a Senior Lecturer and then selected for Head of Marketing in the School of Management Studies, Joel leads a staff complement of 6 full-time and 12 part-time staff. He lectures on the fourth year Bachelor of Business Science degree as well as the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management (Marketing).
Joel is the convenor for Strategic & International Marketing (SIM) [BUS 4019R/S], BUS 4026W, Supply chain management and Social Media Marketing short courses offered through GetSmarter. Joel’s research interests lie in Mobile Banking (MB), Digital Marketing (DM), Emerging Marketing Technologies (EMT), Social Media Marketing, Customer Knowledge Acquisition Systems (CKAS), Cybersecurity (CS) and Knowledge Management Systems (KMS).
- Board Member: Marketing Association of South Africa
- Member: Institute of Information Technology Professionals in South Africa
- Certified Assessor and Moderator for Higher Education –UNISA
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) in progress
- Best Student for Strategic Marketing and Supply Chain Management (IMM) 2003
- Product Manager of the year (1997)
- Departmental Award for Completing PhD in 30 months.
- Awarded PhD without Revision (2014)
Chairing all Marketing Section Committee meetings. Dedicated to serving the School of Management Studies operations, adjudicating departmental research in multiple committee and advisory capacities:
- Examination Board Member-Milpark
- University of Cape Town Faculty Board
- Commerce Education Group (UCT)
- Curriculum Change Working Group (UCT)
- New Generation of Professoriate [NGP] (UCT)
I have successfully supervised to completion, one PhD candidate. I have 6 PhD students in the pipeline, one will graduate in 2018, two are likely to graduate in 2019 and the last candidate will likely graduate in 2020 (sole supervision). Of the 6, I co-supervise two with Prof. F. Mavondo.
I have successfully supervised, to completion, 18 MBA and 2 MSc students. At UCT, I have successfully supervised to graduation 3 Masters Students (A total of 23 students have successfully completed their projects).