Undergraduate Degrees Offered
Both degrees are divided into a variety of programmes to cater both for the interests of our students and the employment needs of the country. The first year in both degrees is more or less common, for two mainreasons:
- Bachelor of Business Science (BBusSc)
- Bachelor of Commerce (BCom)
- All commerce graduates should have a solid academic foundation in a range of core subject areas: Accounting, Information Systems,Economics, Business Law, Mathematics, Statistics and Thinking About Business.
- We do not expect students new to university to finalise their degree or programme choices before being exposed to the disciplines at a tertiary level, so the more similar the programmes, the more flexibility students have to move around as they discover where their strengths and interests lie.
- Both degrees are offered in the standard format or as extended programmes to students who may have experienced gaps or disparities in their educational or life experience. The BBusSc is traditionally offered over four years, but is also available as an extended programme over five years(called the Education Development Unit or EDU). Similarly, the BCom is traditionally offered over three years, but is available as a four year programme (called the Education Development Unit or EDU). It is important to note that, whether you spend three, four or five years doing your degree, your Commerce degree certificate will be the same, except to stipulate whether you have graduated with a BCom or BBusSc degree and the area of specialisation of the degree.
The UCT Application Form will require you to select:
This should be an informed decision, so please make use of all resources available to you in order for you to make the best choice for you. Read this brochure and the Undergraduate Prospectus carefully, contact the Faculty Office and talk to the staff there, or make an appointment to chat to a Student Advisor in one of the Academic Departments in the Faculty. There will also be academic and administrative staff available during registration and orientation to assist you if you still need assistance or reassurance then, and remember that the flexibility built in to the degrees offers you scope to change your mind.
- A degree: either the BCom or BBusSc
- An area of specialisation within the degree
Flexibility between Undergraduate Degree/Programmes
The Faculty of Commerce philosophy is to build flexibility between undergraduate degrees, programmes particularly in the early years. Although you have not met the early offer criteria for BBusSc Actuarial Science/BBusSc Management Studies and you do meet the early offer criteria for BBusSc Management Studies/BCom.
The Faculty guarantees that, at registration any student who has been accepted into the Commerce Faculty may register for any Commerce Faculty mainstream undergraduate programme for which they meet the subject and points criteria irrespective of the programme for which they applied and were offered a place. The registration process is at the conclusion of the Orientation programme where the flexibility between, and common core of,the various programmes is explained to assist you in making your preliminary registration decision.
Should you wish to take up the early offer mentioned above,please contact the Admissions office to change your Commerce Faculty preference. We can only make you an offer in this programme if you have appliedfor it.