Notice: Ethics applciations closing date
Please note that all ethics applications must submitted by the 30th November 2016. New applications received after this date, will not be reviewed during December 2016. The application process will re-open in mid-January 2017.
Any person planning to undertake research in the Commerce Faculty should answer the following questions:
- Is your research making use of human subjects as a source of data? (you are using questionnaires, surveys, interviews, secondary data about people)
- Is there a possibility that your research could cause harm to a third party?
- Does your research involve the participation of communities?
- Is your research providing a service to a community?
- If your research is sponsored, is there any potential conflict of interest?
- Is your research in the field of Health? Please read the following document : Ethics in Health Research and read the additional note below.
- Please read the Ethics in Research Handbook of the Faculty of commerce prior to your application.
Research within the Health Sector
If your research falls within the health sector as defined below, you may require approval from the Department of Health. You can get that approval through an accredited Health Ethics Board. For UCT that would be the Faculty Of Health Sciences. Please see http://www.health.uct.ac.za/fhs/research/humanethics/about. You are also required to submit an application to Commerce when submitting an application to Health Sciences.
Please see below what you need to do in order to receive ethics approval, based on the answer to the question above
Should you have any questions regarding Ethics Applications, please speak in the first instance to the course convenor, your supervisor or your departmental representative:
Please find below some of the important documents:
Forms for applying to use UCT staff or students as human participants
Any additional queries can be directed to Samantha Alexander at Samantha.firstname.lastname@example.org