Support is offered to Students who are placed on academic probation through the Readmissions Appeal Committee (RAC).
This is mainly in groups and Psychosocial support and Academic support is offered on issues around the following:
- Multiple experiences of failure. Some of the students go through their academic career with multiple experiences of failure. These experiences result in fear of failure and this has a huge impact on the students’ academic performances. Students lack confidence in their abilities because of this fear and as a result, the fear of failure can lead to actual failure.
- Poor self-management skills. Even at third, fourth and final year level, some students lack basic skills to manage their academics. A lot of students struggle with time management, effective studying and self-discipline.
- Motivation. Some students benefit by just having a space where they can discuss their anxieties and fears of exclusion. They needed to be motivated and encouraged.
Education Development Unit (EDU)
- See Student Support Services Handbook 5
- UCT Student Care line - 0800 24 25 26 free from a Telkom line. SmS 31393 for a call-me-back.
- Student Wellness Services (SWS) - Ivan Toms Building at 28 Rhodes Ave, Mowbray Tel: 021 650 1017/1020. SWS also offer a walk-in service on Level 6 of the Steve Biko Student Building
- Campus Protection Services (CPS) Tel 021 650 2222/3
- Careers Service - Hoerikwaggo Building, Tel 021 650 2497
Office for inclusivity & change (OIC)
- Website: www.oic.uct.ac.za 24/7 Standby No. (Sexual assault emergency response): 072 393 7824
- Inclusion, Culture Change, Prevention and Education Office - Ivan Toms Building, 28 Rhodes Avenue, Mowbray (Next to the SWS) Tel: 021 650 1006.
- Sexual Assault, Discrimination and Harassment Office. The Cottage, Lovers Walk, Lower Campus Phone: 021 650 3530
- Disability Service Office Level 4, Steve Biko Students’ Union, Upper Campus Phone: 021 650 2427