18 NQF credits at level 6
Course convener: Dr T Grant
Course entry requirements: This core course is available to
all Management Studies students (Business Science and BCom). It is also
compulsory for certain other BCom streams (e.g., Information systems) Students
are generally in their third year but some second year students are accepted in
the second semester (e.g., finance).
Objectives of the course are that students should be able
• Design and produce various types of documents (e.g.
correspondence, reports and proposals)
• Plan and give persuasive presentations and oral reports
• Prepare visual and graphic material for oral and written
• Give formal oral presentations as part of a small group.
The syllabus includes:
• Genres: academic papers and professional/business
• Formats, style, vocabulary, organisation patterns and
readability for oral and written messages
• Group presentation techniques
• Application: Report writing, proposal writing,
correspondence (traditional and electronic),
• Integration of graphic and visual material, and group oral
A communication handbook, a course outline and a book of
exercises will be given to every student.
•Every assignment must be handed in on time; oral
presentations must be delivered at the specific times
•Students must obtain a minimum average of 40% for work done
during the course
•Students must attend all workshops
Oral examination: group oral presentation to a panel of
examiners; written examination: 3 hour paper.
Students must achieve 40% for each examination. Their class and
examination marks are then averaged. The pass mark for the course is 50%.